March 16/17 Backpacking – Mudhole Gap
We’ll head to Mudhole gap again for some spring backpacking. As usual we will leave on Friday the 15th at 7:30 pm and return early afternoon on Sunday. This Monday is the last opportunity to sign up!
New Scouts or First Time Backpackers:
If this is your first Backpacking trip with the troop, bring your packed backpack tomorrow night to the meeting. We will review the pack and give some constructive criticism! If you are missing anything, let us know, we can probably come up with it!
Climbing, Camping, and Hiking at Sugarloaf Mountain, April 6/7
Camping nearby, rock climbing during the day, and hiking as well at nearby Sugarloaf Mountain.
High Adventure – Dolly Sods July 7-13 (week)
Our five day four night foray into the wild of West Virginia’s Dolly Sods trip is scheduled for July . The Dolly Sods crew’s next steps are locking in our participants ( that includes adults) and selecting our crew leader. This position is perfect for the scout who is looking for a leadership position that will challenge him and help him become an even better scout. You don’t have to do everything but you will have to delegate. Don’t hesitate to step up.
Next steps are developing a calendar, training hikes, gear preparation, route selection and meal planning.
See Mr. Rodger and Mr Guynn for more information.
Stem Committee and Events:
Did you know that over 50% of Merit Badges are STEM related? Mr. Steenstra (email@example.com) has found quite a few STEM opportunities coming up. See attached document with the upcoming events.
DUES ARE DUE –
2019 Troop 131 Dues Collection Details
Please plan to attend one of the meetings or send a dues payment with your scout.
Dues are as follows:
- Scout – $90
- 2nd Scout in a family (sibling) – $66
- 1st Year Transfer Scout – $25
- Registered Adults – $39
Dues payments are accepted in any of the following forms:
- Credit card
- Check (payable to “Boy Scouts Troop 131”)
Checks may also be dropped off into the locked mailbox at the fence at 25 E. Linden Street. Please mark any envelopes with “Troop 131.”
Henri van Goetham – Treasurer Troop 131
Summer Camp –
It is already time to get signed up – see last weeks email from Ms. Larson and sign up a time
NYLT, National Youth Leadership Training
Are you 14 or in 8th Grade? Are you a First Class Scout? If so, you have the opportunity to participate in an exciting, fun, and useful training through scouts – NYLT! It’s coming up again this summer, so Let’s talk!
World Scout Jamboree
The WSJ is this summer at the Bechtel Reserve in WVA. If you would like to visit for a day, see below link. Max, Thomas, Matthew, and Mr Rodger are going this year!
| Service Opportunities
If you have any service opportunities you think would be good for our Scouts, please contact Mrs. Greiner, our Service Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes from the Senior Patrol Leader:
– BRING YOUR COATS! It is winter, it’s cold, we go outside for activities. Be Prepared.
– PATROL LEADERS – It is your responsibility to touch base with your Patrols and be sure that they are paying attention to the Skills Training and working on their Advancement
– CELL PHONE USAGE – Not in the troop meetings, except with very few exceptions when they are being used for advancement or merit badges.
– Uniforms and Opening/Closing Ceremonies – wear your Field Uniforms and line up properly for the ceremonies.
– BRING YOUR SCOUTBOOKS TO THE MEETINGS! Opportunities for Advancement are being wasted just because Scouts don’t remember their books.
Other Items of Interest
Contact Mr. Steenstra at the troop meeting if you would like to be on it! There are lots of great opportunities around the area.