UPDATE | THURSDAY, MARCH 12, 2020
Scouts and Families –
There has been much discussion in the last few days about how the COVID-19 Coronavirus will affect Scouting, our Troop, and our Outdoor Activities. The safety of our Scouts is the number 1 priority, Whether our meetings and outings put this in jeopardy is a difficult decision.
Earlier this afternoon, we received the guidance from the National Capital Area Council that:”…..all in-person Council and District events, activities, and meetings between Friday, March 13 and Thursday, April 30, 2020 will be postponed or cancelled. This decision has been made out of an abundance of caution and concern for the health of our Scouts, Scouters, and their families.
Further, NCAC strongly suggests that individual Scout units follow this policy.”…
Our Troop is following NCAC’s “strong suggestion” in this matter and will not hold troop meetings from March 13 to April 30. We are looking into the possibility of using technology for scoutmaster conferences/boards of review, skills teaching, etc.
Reluctantly, we are postponing our March 21 backpacking trip and our April 24 rock climbing trip. I will work with the PLC to see if we want to replace other scheduled trips with these or keep the remainder of the year as scheduled. We will reevaluate as things progress.
Scoutmaster, Troop 131