Hope everyone is doing well.
NO TROOP MEETING
With many of you on vacation, as well as all our Leadership Core still at Goshen and as counselors, we are going to CANCEL the meeting on Monday. In addition, your Scoutmaster could use a day off as well!
With that said, if anyone needs a Scoutmaster Conference or anything reviewed/signed off, then I am happy to meet with you individually on Monday or later in the week.
Thanks all and see you next week!
We have exciting activities in store for you for the fall. See attached calendar of events through the end of the year. Just a few highlights to point out:
- The yearly Orienteering Campout scheduled in a few weeks- more information coming on that soon.
- We will have our traditional end of summer Family Picnic and Court of Honor on 8/28. This is a lot of fun and a great way to celebrate all the work you accomplished at summer camp and throughout the past six months.
- Mr. Mills has agreed to reprise his role as Ringleader of the Car-Wash, and we will have another fundraiser in September. We made well over $1,000 last year and we hope to match that again this year … btw .. .did I mention that we also had a lot of fun that day!
- September will include a Backpacking Trip and we will go to an old favorite- Mudhole Gap
- October is a PACKED Month with two major activities:
o The first is the Climboree- which includes an extra day of camping as it is over a three-day weekend!
o The second is the Colonial District Camporee. Scouts, we will need full attendance at this event as we have been asked to organize the activities for the day. The theme is Conservation and many of the meetings in the fall will be geared to prepare for this. So please put a big Red Circle around the weekend of October 20th– this is one weekend that I ask you to keep open for Scouting!
- In November and since we have two major events in October, we decided to try something a little different. The weekend of November 17th is dedicated to a Patrol Outing. In other words, each patrol will decide and plan (with adult help) their own activity. While I hope you all go camping, if you want to see a Movie, have a pizza party, take a day hike, etc … it is up to you. However, you must do something. Adult leaders, we may need more involvement this weekend from you, as we need two deep adult leadership for each patrol/activity.
It should be a fun and exciting fall!
COLONIAL DISTRICT FLIGHT SCHOOL
See note and link below from Ms. Haymes. The Colonial District is hosting a “flight school” on August 19th with a focus on the Aviation and Space Flight Merit Badges. As a Sci-Fi nerd, I appreciate the reference to BattleStar Galactica and the “Vipers”!
Special fun District merit badge day coming up in August at Gunston Hall covering the Aviation and Space Exploration merit badges.
For info and sign-up info visit this link: https://scoutingevent.com/082-flight2023
Yours in scouting,
SCHEDULE: One Month(ish) Look Ahead
Monday, July 24th – Troop Meeting – 7:30 PM – CANCELED
Monday, July 31st – Troop Meeting – 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Monday, August 7th – Troop Meeting – 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Friday August 11th – 13th – Camping Trip – Orienteering
Monday, August 14th – Troop Meeting (PLC) – 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Monday, August 21st – Troop Meeting (ACPS First Day) (BoR) – 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Monday, August 28th – Court of Honor and Family Picnic – 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Monday September 4th – No Meeting Federal Holiday – Labor Day
Saturday September 9th – Troop 131 Car wash and Fundraiser- – Immanuel Church on the Hill.