I hope you are all well. I am about to leave town for the weekend, but wanted to send this out today as I will not return until late Sunday.
First let me also congratulate the Mustachios, for their good cooking skills and winning the “skillet of destiny”. They have bragging rights until the next cook-off! Be sure to write your patrol name (not too big) to commemorate this occasion.
We will have an in-person Troop meeting at 7:30PM at Immanuel Church on the Hill this Monday.
We have a PLC at 7:00 for all the leaders in the troop. Patrol Leaders, please make sure you are in attendance. The major topic will be the Scout Skills Saturday on March 25th!
PARENT AND COMMITTEE MEETING – March 16th 7:30 (changed)
All, please note that the meeting has been moved from Tuesday to Thursday. A zoom link will come out later in the week. Hope to see you all there!
These meetings are your chance to find out what’s going on with the troop, get questions answered, make suggestions and find out how you might be able to help. All are welcome and encouraged to join!
As we get ready for an influx of new scouts this spring, please look through your son’s uniform and if you have items he has outgrown please send them into a troop meeting to be added to our uniform swap box.
We are looking for some adult volunteers in these areas:
- Scoutmaster – We are looking for someone who might be interested in this role to shadow Mark for a gradual transition into being Scoutmaster. Don’t be intimidated by this, there is lots of training and support available! Reach out to Mark or me to discuss what is involved if you have any interest.
- Membership – This role manages our fall/spring recruitment efforts and getting new scouts processed with paperwork, etc. This is not a huge lift but a very important role for the troop. It’s primarily done via e-mail and mostly a matter of communicating with Cub Scout dens to arrange visits, communicating with potential new scouts and tracking paperwork for those who join. We haven’t had someone specifically in this role for a few years but would like to take this off the plate of the committee chair position.
- Committee Chair – Here too we are looking for someone who has interest in becoming the committee chair and could work with me for a gradual transition. This too does not need to be a heavy lift, I’d be happy to talk to anyone who might be interested.
Please do consider helping in one of these roles if you can, I would be happy to talk to you about what’s involved or answer any questions you may have.
For our latest calendar or other information, check our website – https://t131.org/
Thank you for your consideration and I hope to “see“ you on March 14th!
ORDER OF THE ARROW (OA) ELECTIONS – 20 March
See message below from Mr. Irwin. We have not had an OA election for some time and are overdue! Scouts, please mark your calendars. For those that are unfamiliar with the OA, we will provide additional information at an upcoming meeting.
The Colonial Chapter of the Amangamek-Wipit Lodge will conduct the 2022-2023 Order of the Arrow election on Monday, 20 March at 7:30pm during our normally scheduled meeting. Of special note at least 50% of Troop members must be present to conduct the election and we hope to have as close to 100 percent attendance at this meeting. We will be compiling the list of eligible and willing Scouts in the next few weeks that meet the following qualifications:
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
2. At the time of their election, youth must be under the age of 21, hold the Scouts BSA First Class rankand following approval by the scoutmaster, be elected by the youth members of their unit.
3. The youth must have experienced 15 nights of camping while registered with a troop within the two years immediately prior to the election. The 15 nights must include one, but no more than one, long-term camp consisting of at least five consecutive nights of overnight camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America. Only five nights of the long-term camp may be credited toward the 15-night camping requirement; the balance of the camping (10 nights) must be overnight, weekend, or other short-term camps of, at most, three nights each.
EAGLE PROJECT- HENRY AND BEN
We have TWO Eagle Projects coming up and a third one not far behind! We are so fortunate to have so many scouts in the troop working toward their Eagle. See messages from Henry and Ben. Please sign up to help support both!
For my Eagle Scout Project, I will be building and installing three garden beds and a fence for the Early Childhood Center in Alexandria, Virginia. The garden beds and fence will be used in the school’s indoor courtyard to spruce up the area and help the students learn more about plants!
There are two different workdays that you can sign up for. The first day will focus on building the project, so I advise that only older scouts sign up to help on this day. There will be a morning and afternoon shift on the building day, you are welcome to sign up for both shifts, but it is not required. The second day will be installing the items at the school, scouts of any age can come help on this day. Details on each project day are below as well as the sign-up genius form!
Tools will be provided, but make sure to bring your own gloves and provide your own transportation! Thanks for helping! – Henry Bingman
Building Day: Sunday, March 19th
– Location: 107 E Luray Ave. Alexandria, VA, 22301 (Mr. Jahns’ House)
– First Shift: 10am-1pm (Lunch provided)
– Second Shift: 1pm-4pm
– Older scouts only, meet at the garage
Installation Day: Friday, March 24th (Teacher Work Day for all ACPS schools)
– Location: 5651 Rayburn Ave. Alexandria, VA, 22311 (Early Childhood Center)
– Time: 11am-1pm (Lunch not provided)
– Open to all scouts, meet at Door 1 located at the front of the building
Sign-Up Genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0C44AEAF2BA0FCCE9-henry
I am excited to let you know that I will be executing my Eagle Project over Spring Break of this year! I am constructing four tables and twelve benches for an outdoor classroom/multipurpose space for my old elementary school, The Del Ray Montessori School. I need help on April 2,3, and 4 from any Scouts who are able to participate. The schedule and time slots are below. Depending on the weather, I may have to postpone the project by a day or two, so your flexibility would be much appreciated. For older Scouts, your help is welcome all days, but particularly requested on the first one. Younger Scouts, you are welcome any time. Scouts will get service hours for their work!
|Time||Sun (04/02/23)||Mon (04/03/23)||Tue (04/04/23)|
|9:00-12:00||Shift 1||Shift 1||Shift 1|
|12:00-1:00||Lunch for Scouts staying both shifts||Lunch for Scouts staying both shifts||Lunch for Scouts staying both shifts|
|1:00-4:00||Shift 2||Shift 2||Shift 2|
All Scouts will go through a safety demonstration for the tools we will use and will practice using them on scrap wood before we move to the actual furniture. If you are staying for both of the sessions in one day, lunch will be provided (probably delivery of pizza or something similar).
If you are interested in helping out please fill out this form.
Thank you all for your help! Unfortunately, because of my enrollment in the Senate Page Program, I am unable to present this in person, but I look forward to seeing you all over Spring Break and getting more active next year! If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are planning on attending summer camp, then now is the time to sign up!
SCHEDULE: One Month(ish) Look Ahead
Monday, March 13th – Troop Meeting (PLC)- 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Tuesday March 16th – Parent and Committee Meeting – 7:60 PM (virtual)
Sunday, March 19th – Henry Bingman Eagle Project
Monday, March 20th – Troop Meeting (OA Elections)- 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Friday March 24th – Henry Bingman Eagle Project
Saturday, March 25th – Scout Skills Saturday (afternoon)
Monday, March 27th – Court of Honor
April 2, 3 &4- Ben Turney Eagle Project
Monday, April 3rd – No Troop Meeting- Spring Break
Monday, April 10th – Troop Meeting – 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Monday, April 17th – Troop Meeting (BoR) – 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Friday, April 21st -23rd – Camping/Fishing Trip
GENERAL TROOP MEETING INFO:
Wear your full Class A Uniform and Scarf! Bring your Book, Bring a headlamp! Leave your phone in your pocket! and have a good time!
Blue Cards! Did you know that your Scoutmaster can email you a blue card? Just send me Mr. Ramirez an email (email@example.com)! Note that the SCOUT must request the blue card, not the parent!
See you all at the troop meeting