We will have an in-person Troop meeting at 7:30PM at Immanuel Church on the Hill this Monday. However, the meeting will be 100% outside. The meeting will focus on fire building skills/safety and therefore we will meet at the fire pit. The fellowship hall is being used for a wedding, so we do not have access to it, and we should not bother the guests.
- Please do not go into the main hall, the kitchen, or use the bathrooms.
- Please dress appropriately, it will be chilly, and you will be outside.
- Please come prepared to make fires; bring ways of making heat, tinder, kindling, fuel, etc. as well as ways to put out the fires.
- Bring you headlamp
For those that don’t have your firem’n chit, this is a good way for you to work on the requirements:
- I have read and understand use and safety rules from the Scouts BSA Handbook.
- I will build a campfire only when necessary and when I have the necessary permits (regulations vary by locality).
- I will minimize campfire impacts or use existing fire lays consistent with the principles of Leave No Trace. I will check to see that all flammable material is cleared at least 5 feet in all directions from fire (total 10 feet).
- I will safely use and store fire-starting materials.
- I will see that fire is attended to at all times.
- I will make sure that water and/or a shovel is readily available. I will promptly report any wildfire to the proper authorities.
- I will use the cold-out test to make sure the fire is cold out and will make sure the fire lay is cleaned before I leave it.
- I follow the Outdoor Code, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and the principles of Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly!
BOARD OF REVIEWS
We will have at least two boards of reviews going during the meeting and outside. Thank you to the adults who volunteered to participate in the BoR!
VISIT FROM PACK 135
We will have a group of Webelos and Parents who are visiting from Pack 135 tomorrow. I will take the adults to talk to them for a bit, however, I will need one ASPL and a few scouts to volunteers to talk to the Webelos about the scouting experience.
Here are the things that I would like you to discuss with the scouts:
Describe how the Scouts in the troop provide its leadership.
Describe the four steps of Scout advancement.
Describe ranks in Scouting and how they are earned.
Describe what merit badges are and how they are earned.
List the three steps you will go through once you have completed all the requirements for a rank in
Scouting. These are the Scoutmaster conference, board of review, and recognition.
Explain what the patrol is and how it works.
Identify the different patrols that a troop may have.
List the differences between a new-Scout patrol and a traditional patrol in a Scout troop.
Describe the First-Class Scout badge and tell what each part stands for. Explain the significance
of the First-Class Scout badge.
I would also like them to participate in fire building activities.
SCOUTING FOR FOOD – RECAP
Thank you to all the scouts and adults who volunteered for the service project and special thanks to ASM Andrew Moore and Service Coordinator Samantha Mulvaney for organizing both the sticker posting and the pickup.
See below some stats from Mr. Moore!
It was a great day working on Scouting for Food. Here are some fun stats:
- 8 adult volunteers
- 13 youth volunteers
- 1 canine volunteer
- 75 bags
- 794 pounds of food collected
- 10.58 pounds per bag
I provided this data to the district and the council per their request. The goal nationally is to collect a million pounds
SCHEDULE: One Month(ish) Look Ahead
For your use, see below a list of the activities in the coming weeks:
Monday, November 14th – Troop Meeting- 7:30 PM (BoR)– Fire Pit outside
Monday, November 21st – No Meeting- Thanksgiving week!
Monday, November 28th – Troop Meeting- 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Monday, December 5th – Troop Meeting- 7:30 PM (Troop Elections)– Immanuel Church on the Hill
Saturday December 10th– Architectural Walking Tour (Third Time’s a Charm!)
Monday, December 12th – Troop Meeting- 7:30 PM (PLC)– Immanuel Church on the Hill
Monday, December 19th – Troop Meeting- 7:30 PM – Immanuel Church on the Hill
Monday, December 26th – No Troop Meeting- Winter Break
Monday, January 2nd – No Troop Meeting- New Year
GENERAL TROOP MEETING INFO:
Wear your full Class A Uniform! Bring your Book, Bring a headlamp! Leave your phone in your pocket! and have a good time!
Blue Cards! Did you know that your Scoutmaster can email you a blue card? Just send me Mr. Ramirez an email (firstname.lastname@example.org)! Note that the SCOUT must request the blue card, not the parent!
See you all at the troop meeting.